Thursday, April 28, 2011

Keeping Out of Trouble...

Okay - so this week I took on a new sewing project - making pillowcases for the armed forces and homeless shelters. 


It all started after I met a very nice lady (Gayle) in San Leandro at one of the recent garage sales that Yolanda and I had.  Gayle was looking for fabric and we started talking about the sewing project my godmother Trini recently assigned to me (making bibs for convalescent centers).  Gayle mentioned that her quilting group makes pillowcases for military personnel and the homeless and I said if it doesn't call for more than sewing a straight line - count me in!

So here's my project...



Alll my stuff on dining room table...
fabric, scissors, thread, cutting mat, measuring tape, pins, whiskey...
(nah, just kidding about the whiskey.. maybe!)


I get all jazzed over all these colors...



My tools (toys)...



My sewing machine...it's gotta be real simple!



And away we go!
Step 1:  Cut two pieces of fabric
1) 44 x 27 (this will be the pillowcase)
2) 44 x 9 (this will be the cuff)



Step 2:  Lay the case fabric on top of the cuff - both right side up and then roll the case
up until you can fold the cuff over and it becomes a long tube...
confused already??...



Step 3:  Image these as pillowcases..well, try to image...
Actually, this is what Step 2 looks like when all rolled up...



Step 4:  P-U-L-L the inside fabric through the tube...



Step 5:  This is the tube unrolled...
Then sew the sides together...except for the top, of course!


VOILA!



 It may not look like much but here is one of the 12 pillowcases I made...

For a real tutorial on how to make a pillowcase, this is the YouTube video that I followed...

                                              


                                                   See you next time OaklandBreakfasters!

No comments:

Post a Comment